June – August 2017
- Father’s Day is Sunday, June 18/2017.
- Create and decorate a “Dad” section.
- Feature a wedding endcap, bridal shower and baby endcaps early in the summer.
- Stock up on fireworks, flags, red and white balloons, cups napkins and other party accessories for Canada Day – Saturday, July 1st.
- Stock up on items for Canada’s 150 years celebration.
- Start pre- booking for Valentine’s Day, Easter and Spring 2018.
- Start building your back to school section at the end of July. Include stationery, backpacks, lunch snacks, etc.
May – Mother’s Day:
- Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 14/2017
- Make and display Gift Baskets on May 1st/2017, include picture frames.
- All cottage and camping gear should be out at the beginning of the month.
- Display an endcap of fireworks for Victoria Day. (May 22/2017)
- Have teacher thank you cards and gifts on display throughout the month.
October (Thanksgiving Day and Halloween).
- Early October build a Halloween harvest section.
- Halloween falls on Tuesday, October 31st/2017.
- Mark down all your spring and summer items.
- Thanksgiving falls on Monday, October 9th/2017
- Build a Thanksgiving endcap. Include tableware in seasonal colors, orange, browns, etc.
- Stock up on foil turkey roasters, tableware.
- Gift ideas include baskets and flowers.
November Retail Tip
- Decorate your store for Christmas. Play Christmas music to encourage shoppers.
- Don’t forget to keep the store full with basics. Reorder November and December.
- Feature outdoor decorations such as lights, wreaths, bows & bulbs, etc.
- Regularly rotate giftware items.
- Stock up cold weather gear such as ice scrapers, antifreeze, salt, etc.
- Don’t forget hats, mittens, scarves, gloves.
- Build a Christmas stocking stuffer section in mid-November.
- Make sure your craft section is well stocked as people make their own decorations and gifts for Christmas.
- Review last year’s seasonal sales / notes and last year’s inventory.
Dear Buyers and Exhibitors,
We have been receiving many calls and emails regarding the upcoming January show in Toronto at the Exhibition Place downtown.
We want to alleviate some of your concerns with answers to some of the most common questions that we get.
Concern: The hotel rates in downtown Toronto are very high.
Answer: Take advantage of the special rates that we negotiated on your behalf with the hotels near the airport. They are half the price of the downtown hotels.
Concern: How will we get from the airport hotel to the show facility?
Answer: There will be a free shuttle bus service provided between hotel and show facility in the morning and in the evening.
We will ask you to register at the hotel registration desk for the shuttle bus service.
That will help us to bring the proper number of busses to move all buyers and exhibitors more efficiently.
On Saturday, Sunday the one way trip should take about 20 minutes.
Enjoy quick, free ride without parking fees. On Monday morning the travel time could be 40 minutes.
Concern: How much extra time we will need to get to the facility considering downtown traffic if we will travel by car?
Answer: Usually there are normal driving conditions of Saturdays and Sundays especially in the morning hours.
It will take more time to get to the facility on Monday, which will be the last day of the show.
In my opinion, Enercare Centre at the CNE, Toronto is the most beautiful show facilities in Canada, from a presentation point of view.
Yes, it has some challenges but it is the only facility which is available in Toronto to suit our needs for the January 2018 show.
The upcoming show is over 30% larger than the previous January show. By having more space suppliers will bring more products and present them in a nice professional environment.
If you are coming to the show from outside of the GTA combine your business trip with the variety of after show entertainment, sport games, concerts, visits to the theaters. Award yourself by visiting the best restaurants in the country which will appeal to every taste and budget.
It will be one of a kind experience that you will enjoy.
President, Trader’s Forum Inc
December Retail Tips
Generate some extra revenue this holiday season:
With your store nicely decorated, Christmas music playing in the background and merchandise displayed strategically around the store you are sure to have a significant increase in sales from the month before. Here are a few extra tips on how to capitalize on this time of year:
- By the end of the first week of December, you should have a new endcap set up displaying party hats, wrapping paper, serviettes, disposable tableware, etc.
- Historically, the highest volume of sales on bags, tissues and bows occur the week of December 18th -24th. Make sure you are ready – STOCK UP!
- Maintain a large quantity of gift-wrap essentials: bags, tissue paper, bows, ribbons, etc.
- Have a visible section of scissors, tape, glue and sparkling markers. May be displayed in your impulse buy section.
- Include photo albums/ frames endcap as Christmas is the season for pictures.
- Continue to rotate/ change your endcaps to give your store a new look.
- Cash area remains the #1 impulse buy section; therefore, try new items in this area. Take notes on what sells well and what does not.
- Throughout the month be well stocked with gloves mittens, and hats.
- Starting December 26th is boxing week. Use this time to clear out all Christmas items i.e. wrap, cards, bags, etc. at 30%-50% off.